fp articleYour Tenancy Agreement

If you accept an offer of housing with Connswater Homes you will be asked to sign a Tenancy Agreement. If it is a joint or shared tenancy both of you will be asked to sign the agreement. This is a very important legal document, it outlines the rights and responsibilities of both the tenant and the Association as landlord.

  • You are entitled to live in your home for as long as you want. A tenancy can be terminated by giving 28 days written notice to the Association.
  • However, if you do not pay your rent on time, or break your tenancy agreement by not meeting your obligations, your tenancy may be at risk. In such instances, the Association may commence proceedings for possession of your home.

Matrimonial Home

If you are living together in the same home, your spouse or partner may have equal rights to the home should the relationship break down. In such cases you should speak with a professional advice agency.

Housing Rights Service 028 9024 5640


If a tenant does not live in their home, the Association can take action to repossess the property.

Joint Tenancies

A sole tenant can apply in writing for a joint tenancy with a spouse, partner or immediate relative who has been living as part of the same household for a period of at least twelve months.


When a tenant dies, the tenancy will automatically pass to the spouse or partner if it was their principle home at the time of the tenant’s death, unless a restriction applies.


In specific circumstances it may be possible to transfer a tenancy to another person. The tenancy may be assigned to someone remaining in the home provided that person has been living there continuously. Each case will be examined on its own merit and the Association’s decision is final.

Make sure everyone living in your home is recorded in your file at the office.

Taking in Lodgers

Secure tenants have the right to take in lodgers based on household requirements and the size of their home. This is only permitted with written consent from the Association. S/he should also advise NIHE Housing Benefit of such a change in circumstances.

Buying Your Home

Connswater Homes operates a House Sales Policy under which tenants can apply to buy their home. Please contact the office for detailed information

Discount will depend on the length of time they have been a tenant and calculated according to regulations.

Being a Good Neighbour

You are responsible for making sure that you, your family and visitors do not cause a nuisance to others, further details can be found in the Tenancy Management Policy. A useful contact for ongoing disputes is Mediation NI 028 90438614.

If your neighbours are causing a nuisance with, for example loud music you should contact the Environmental Health Department at your local Council office at the time of the incident and inform the Association as soon as possible.

Conditions of Your Home

  • Internal decoration of your home is your responsibility and you should keep it in good decorative order.
  • You will be charged for any repairs caused by carelessness or neglect.
  • If you move out, you should leave your home in a good lettable condition.

Pets and Pigeons

  • Written permission is required from the Association to keep more than one domestic animal;
  • Pets must be kept under control and supervised at all times;
  • You will be held responsible for any damage to your home caused by your pets;
  • You must seek permission in writing from the Association prior to erecting a pigeon loft;
  • The keeping of fowl and other livestock is not permitted.

TV Aerials and Satellite Dishes

You should request written consent before erecting a television aerial or satellite dish to your home.

Sky Digital - 08705 800 874, www.sky.com & Virgin Media - 0845 840 7777, www.virginmedia.com


  • Tenants are responsible for maintaining their gardens both front and back.
  • Gardens are subject to regular inspections by a member of staff.
  • The Association may run a garden competition at the end of the summer.

Alterations and Adaptations

  • You must get written permission from the Association before carrying out any alterations. We will normally not object without good reason.
  • If you require adaptations because of a medical condition or illness, you should speak with your GP whom may recommend an Occupational Therapist. You will require a referral from an Occupational Therapist for most adaptations.
  • Any electrical work carried out in your home must receive written consent from the Association prior to work commencing. Once permission is granted all work must be completed by a NICEIE approved contractor. The Association will require certification from the contractor that the works have been carried out in accordance with the relevant regulations.


  • Your co-operation is needed to ensure that the area remains a pleasant place in which to live.
  • Do not allow children to vandalise property. Vandalism leads to increased rents.
  • Keep communal areas clean and tidy.
  • Connswater Homes actively encourages tenant participation in the running of its business, further details can be obtained from the office or in the Tenant Participation Policy